Author Topic: Family Cycling on the ODT?  (Read 283 times)

cyclingfamily

• View Profile
Family Cycling on the ODT?
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
Hey there. My husband and I are thinking about cycling from Seattle to Vancouver with our seven-year old this summer. We've taken other cycling trips before (the Great Allegheny Passage and from Montreal to Quebec) where we've cycled on marked paths, shoulders, and separate trails. If we incorporate the ODT, are there particularly difficult climbs and many bits that you would consider unsafe because of traffic, lack of shoulder, etc...?

Also, do you have other recommendations for a possible cycling trip from Seattle to Vancouver?

ODT_Forum_Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Family Cycling on the ODT?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
Good question.  The portion from Port Townsend to Discovery Bay temporarily uses 8 miles on State Route 20, which is windy, fast, and poor shoulders - not safe in my opinion, particularly for 7 yr olds.  To avoid this, take State Route 104 from Seattle to Discovery Bay (Edmonds Ferry, Hood Canal Bridge to US Hwy 101, then north 2+ miles to connect with Olympic Discovery Trail). The 50 miles of ODT from Discovery Bay to Port Angeles and the ferry to Victoria, BC is mostly separated trail and a fun ride.  However it is not well signed (big signing project this summer).  Take the download maps from the website for the sections you are going to cover and they will walk you through the confusing spots.  The first 10 miles from Discovery Bay is not complete yet, but most is on Old Gardiner Rd, a quiet country road you will like, with two short segments on the wide shoulders of Hwy 101. Go off the highway onto Old Blyn hwy, jog left in 0.8 miles to catch the separated trail and you are good all the way to Port Angeles. The 7 yr old will enjoy visits to the Audubon Center (just before crossing the Dungeness River on a restored RR bridge, open weekdays) and the Feiro Marine Life Center (as you enter Port Angeles, on the water side just past the Red Lion Inn).