Author Topic: Olympic Coast camping at the end of ODT  (Read 45 times)

ODTnewbie

• View Profile
Olympic Coast camping at the end of ODT
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
Hi,
I'm checking out the campsite info in the Planning section and I'm wondering if Mora Campground is the only campsite on the west coast at the end of the ODT suitable for bike camping. The Mora brochure doesn't even say that much. Any advice for camping around La Push? We're planning on touring the ODT from Port Angeles to La Push and beach camping would be a dream but I'm not sure if the beaches are bike accessible. I already read that Second Beach is not. What's considered the sweet spot between bike camping accessibility and beach access in the La Push area?

Thanks in advance!

ODT_Forum_Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Coast camping at the end of ODT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:24:01 AM »
Hi Camper,  We have always assumed that those wanting to camp with beach access would turn north on Mora Rd across the river to Mora Campground, an Olympic National Park campground that is the most popular for this part of the coast.  It provides easy access to Rialto Beach, arguably the most spectacular beach on this part of the coast.   Alternatives are Lake Ozette Campground, 40 miles NW of ODT via Hwy 113, 112, and Ozette Rd, with beach camping a 3 mile hike to Sand Point, or Kalaloch Campground, 30 miles south on Hwy 101.  Olympic National Park controls most of the Washington coast, and you may want to contact them about other camping alternatives.  Trailrider Chuck